Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Monkeys and Goats and Monkeys and Goats

I made the mistake of answering my phone. I thought perhaps someone had a quick law question, or wanted to know when the next hunter safety course would be. Instead I was on the phone for thirty minutes with Linda. The conversation was very random, and I had a hard time deciphering what exactly my role would be in the outcome. Here were some of her complaints:

Her neighbors were:


1. Stealing her goats.
2. Butchering her goats.
3. Shooting guns at the "bus" parked in her yard.
4. Trapping deer.
5. Shining her house. And deer. And her goats.
6. Harrassing her goats.
7. Building the fence on their property higher than is allowed by law. 8. Stealing "things" from her yard.
9. Moving "things" around in her yard.
10. Making her feel like she is crazy.

Sometime amidst her stream of complaints (mainly to get her off the phone) I told her I would come over and take a look at her property.

A few days later I called up a neighboring officer and asked him to come along with me to see Linda's place. I told him that I was questioning her sanity, but thought I could use a witness second opinion. And I promised to buy him lunch.

We arrived at Linda's place to find her not at home at the scheduled time. So, we got out of the truck and the first thing my partner said was, "Oh Boy". That about summed it up.

Let me paint a picture: there was a house that had been added on to, which had been added on to, which had been added on to; the windows of the house were boarded up; there was a chain link fence surrounding the property, though parts of it were collapsing so someone had MacGyvered the situation by stringing along black netting (like that you put on a dog kennel) to fill in the holes; there was a bus full (and I mean FULL) of rusted out random junk, trash and garbage her possessions; the yard hadn't seen the blades of a lawn mower in years (ever); there were piles of refuse more possessions scattered randomly around the yard; you get the idea. In other words, I was a little frightened of walking about the property for fear of falling down a hidden cavern full of goats (because I certainly couldn't see any on her property anywhere else).

As we were standing there aghast inspecting her property, Linda arrived. It is hard to sum up the following conversation except to say that numerous times she stated, "I know I sound crazy...I do. I know I sound crazy- but it is the neighbors that are making me seem like it." and "I know the place is a little bit of a mess, but it is hard to clean it up when you are being harrassed by the neighbors." and "the sheriff is out here all the time. You can talk to them. They will tell you I'm not crazy."

Long story short...I did some checking. I checked the backgrounds and hunting history of her neighbors. There wasn't any background of having had hunting licenses, which after much checking, I surmised it was because they weren't hunters. In my experience, most "poachers" are smart enough to buy a hunting license.

Then I called a friend sheriff's deputy. I only had to say Linda's address and the deputy said, "You mean the monkey lady?"
"The what?"
"The monkey lady. And the goat lady. She had so many monkeys in her house that we had to remove her from the house. The septic system was overloaded."
"From the monkeys? So the monkeys were using the toilets?"
"I guess so. She has been in and out of the mental ward for years."

Upon hearing this I started to laugh....then later it dawned on me- it was sad. I drove by her place later that day and found her sitting in her truck in the yard, watching the neighbors house. I counted my blessings and hoped that my children will never have to deal with a mental illness.

From then on, whenever I drive by her place- I'm reminded how lucky I have been. And I try to get a glance over her fence to make sure nobody is butchering her goats....you can never be too sure.

8 comments:

  1. Seems like every town has a goat lady, but I've never met a monkey lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning FC,
    glad to see that you are back. I was wondering what was going on with your blog. I thought that perhaps hunting season was keeping you busy!

    I follow your blog and look forward to reading each post. Hang in there!

    -Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Linda the goat and monkey lady! She does afterall have an awful lot of "valuable" possessions and needs to keep guard.
    As the saying goes: "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
    Good luck with this one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There but for the grace of God....

    And I'm going to start keeping an eye on my Monkey Goats cause I saw my neighbor eying them the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised the health department hasn't shut the place down or fined her for being unsanitary. I used to make money on the side in college cleaning out homes that had been repossessed, and a few were lived in by hoarders. They are some nasty people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Tis a sad scenario that is replicated in one form or another in many areas across our country. I think you handled the whole situation as respectfully as you could. Probably wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on her for her safety and others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really the development of this sort of clothing relates to the cultural transmission. China is really a significant cultural nation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tis a sad scenario that is replicated in one form or another in many areas across our country. I think you handled the whole situation as respectfully as you could. Probably wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on her for her safety and others.
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Review
    LY Max5.1E Review
    CMX C10 Review
    Black Friday 2015 Sale

    ReplyDelete